Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Where I'm going...

You may not realize it because the retail business tends to just skip over it and go right to Christmas, but Thanksgiving is only a couple of days away. Although it may be short lived, it's the time of year to think about what we are grateful for. For me it's family, the matriarchs of the family to be exact. It's not that I'm not thankful for my hubby, but let's think about the ladies.

The other day, my 15 month old daughter was playing with a hat. She was putting it on her head, spinning around, laughing, pulling it over her eyes. Then she started to head straight for the edge of the table. I scooped her up right before she ran head first into it. I lifted the hat so she could see, told her to watch where she was going, kissed her and put her down facing in an obstacle free direction. I laughed to myself and thought, "the things we have to teach our children." Then I stopped and thought about it. That's an important skill, to watch where you're going. I assume my mom taught me that. I would assume for most of us, our mothers taught us that. Have you ever thanked your mom for teaching you to watch where you're going?  I know I hadn't.

So, much goes into having kids. First you have to grow the kid. (Well, technically there is a step before this.)  After nine months of all the "fun" pregnancy has to offer, you have to get the kid out. We have to feed our children, and bathe our children. Not only do we have to teach them to walk, but now I find out it's our job to teach them to watch where they're going, jeez! 

(Maybe I should have saved this for Mother's Day, lol) After writing my post yesterday, I can't even begin to list all the things my mother has taught me. I am thankful for my mother, my grandmothers, my sister, my aunts... I am thankful for all the moms out there. It doesn't matter what age your children are. You are ready, waiting to scoop them up, uncover their eyes, and head them away from the pointy corners of life. Thank you for the little things. Because of you I'm watching...

where I'm going...

No comments:

Post a Comment